We recently sat down with Kate Donachy, owner of The Modern Gent to discuss her business, its style, and her idea for unique groomsmen gifts! Read our interview below.
Where are you based?
- Midtown, Atlanta.
What do you specialize in?
- We specialize in special occasion attire for men. We’re experts at crafting wardrobes to fit personal tastes, flatter proportions and support life’s greatest moments—your wedding day, a career-changing interview, a party for the history books.
How did you get started and when?
- I have worked in the industry for 7 years; I started in luxury men’s formal wear and developed a passion for servicing the groom’s side of the wedding- which is so often neglected. I decided after several years to venture out and start my own business. Modern Gent officially opened its doors in November of 2012.
What is The Modern Gent’s Style?
- A modern updated version of classic elegance.
What is your favorite trend for 2014 related to grooms wear?
- I love dinner jackets right now!
What is your favorite groom’s look?
- A custom midnight blue shawl lapel tuxedo, with a covered placket shirt and a black bow tie.
Can you make custom pieces?
- Absolutely. We have thousands (literally) of fabrics that we can chose from to create blazers, suits, tuxedos and shirts. The process is really fun; we take over 60 measurements and work with the client to create every aspect down of the garment down to the lining and buttons.
Do you rent items as well?
- We do. Recently we’ve added some really modern, trim fitting new suits to the rental program. We have a gorgeous gray suit in 3 different color tones, and a really beautiful midnight blue suit as well.
- This past spring we also added some vests that match the fabric of the suit, so we can create a 3-piece suit.
Do you do other occasions other than weddings
- Yes! We do full wardrobe build outs for men’s business wardrobe, image consulting for guys who are getting in to a new profession, or dressing for a red carpet night.
What is your favorite groomsmen gift idea?
- We’re carrying some cool new product this year one of which is Brackish Bow Ties. It’s a hand-made custom feather bow tie that is super unique. Also, I have grooms doing cufflinks that will play with the colors of the wedding as an accent. We also carry a combination flask/cigar holder that can be monogrammed with the groomsmen’s initials or wedding date.
Where can I learn/see more?
- On our website, The Modern Gent
How do I contact and follow you?
We loved sitting down with Kate and learning more about her truly unique style. Brides and Grooms (and groomsmen) – if you have questions, or are still trying to find the perfect tux or suit for your big day, contact Kate today!